Welcome to

JACK VEIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY

Photos of beautiful women, female fashion and glamour models

Portfolio | Blog
About Me  |  Model for Me  |  Modelling Tips  |  Photographer Tips  | 
|   Web Design  |  Wishlist  |  Equipment  |  Links  |  Favourites  | 

Sunday, September 10, 2006

My OneModelPlace downsized


It is with some reluctance that I reduced my subscription level in OneModelPlace, from silver to bronze membership. 

When I first started out I considered OneModelPlace as a good means of recruiting models. The website had a decent design and some handy functionality. However, I now find it increasingly easier to recruit models via other sites. 

Part of OMPs problem is that it hasn't evolved.  The services it charges a premium for are being offered for a lower cost, or free, elsewhere. Its pricing structure has not changed, as far as I am aware, in the few years in wihch I have been a member. Thanks to technologies like PhpBB it is getting pretty easy to set up your own DIY community site and many photographers and models are choosing to do just that.

The other major problem I have with OMP is that its a pretty US-centred site.  The site doesn't understand regions within countries outside the United States with the result that its location-based search facilities are not that useful.   When I search for models I am more interested in whether she lives close to me than whether she is 5'4" or 5'8'' and I am sure this is true of most other photographers.

The subscription fee I was being charged was my biggest single web-hosting/site membership cost and about half my hosting/marketing  budget. For the same amount of money I can get a podcast hosting account (so that I can distribute video and audio) plus another domain name or two, which is probably going to be a better way of marketing myself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean! My OMP account expired and I just let it go... and die! I've been with Model Mayhem (MM#9030) for a while now and even though I live in Shanghai (China) I've been getting a few responses per month (and quite a few hits on the website - all for free!

best of luck!

I'll go on reading the rest of this blog!

9:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My partner and I started perfectpose.com because we were asked to by people using onemodelplace, all of our service is free, but you can pay $29.95/year for more galleries. I'm curious of what your opinion is about our direction, if we are close to hitting the mark or not.

10:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home